Thursday, May 13, 2010

What would you do differently from your parents?

My parents did not try to encourage me to be involved in various experiences that are important for growth. Example Girl Scouts. I feel that is important for a child to try many things. That is what shapes them as adults. I wanted to be in band, but my parents couldn't afford it. Who knows If I would have been given the chance, I might have achieved great things. So what are your thoughts?What would you do differently from your parents?
Not be an alcoholic. Keep my marriage together.What would you do differently from your parents?
Encourage your kids to try things but be careful that you don't push them into something they are doing just to please you. If money is an issue, especially with band, most schools or at least band programs have assistance available, sometimes even local churches and adult organizations will kick in to get an instrument or at least help with rental fees. (Lions club and some sororities from colleges will help sometimes for the publicity of it.)





I raised 5 kids, 2 were mine, 3 were my husbands, they were 2-8 years old when we married and the ex's stayed out of the way. We realized that each child is different and that we needed to guide them carefully but not push. (There is a fine line between the 2 sometimes.)
My mom was very involved with my school work or school functions, but never did fun stuff with me like go swimming (God forbid her hair would get wet) or ride roller coasters with me (it might blow her hair), or go hiking, etc. My dad did all those things with me, but sometimes I wish my mom would have too. I am definitley closer to my dad than my mom now.


My daughter is 5 and so far, I think I'm doing a good job of doing things with her, except there have been times I wouldn't get in the pool b/c it was too cold! And I do feel bad about those times. I hope to always be involved in her activities and doing different adventures with her. I'm taking her to the zoo this week for a ';girl's day';! Can't wait!
My daughters are now teenagers (one is in college, the other in high school) and I always made sure that they were exposed to all sorts of activities. We did it all - at least once. Soccer, gymnastics, dance, tennis, art classes...it seems like I drove all over town for many years.





In the end, I encouraged them to each pick one activity to concentrate on. My older daughter played tennis for several years and then when she hit 16, she started working part time, along with many school activities. Her younger sister was and still is a dancer. She may never be a prima ballerina or dance with the NYC Ballet, but she loves to dance, student teaches at her dance school, wants to teach dance one day...dance is her life.





My dream was to go to art school but my parents couldn't afford it and even if they found a school, I might not have been able to get there since my mom didn't drive. I turned out okay in spite of it and I can still draw a bit, but I am not destined to be an artist. All in all, sure, things could have been different, but I am fairly happy with the way my life turned out. It could have been a lot worse.
I will love more,laugh more,encourage more,listen more and be home more...Thats the things i lacked from my parents growing up...It is important for children to be active in things while growing up..If you are older you can still achieve great things..I went on to take piano lessons..i learned how to play the guitar and i went to college after dropping out of school and getting my GED...Love yourself and if there is something you want to do DO IT! Good luck...
-treat my children the same and fairly--appropriately for their age!


-allow my children to have separate friends and activities


-encourage my children to pursue what THEY are interested in


-encourage and assist my children in being the best students they can be


-put their needs before my own


-overestimate them


-trust that i raised them in a way that they can function in social situations without me


-let them choose their friends and activities *within reason*


-and gosh darnit--i WILL let them dress how they want instead of choosing all their clothes and dressing them like old people!! %26lt;3
I do almost everything different





My mother was very abusive in every way... I won't get into details..but it was not fun.





My goal in life...to stop the cycle of abuse. It ends with me. My son will never know what it is like to have the one who is suppose to protect and love him betray him. And for my adopted girls who came from abusive homes.. I want then to sleep at night knowing the are now loved and safe.





Everything else is gravy.
Let ma kids have more freedom :o) a wouldnt force em into stupid stuff like girl scouts. My mam n dad give me loadsss of freedom n i love it buttt i have to be home for 10:30 :| its rather shockin butt i am the youngest and the only girl and my dad is very over protective buh at least he cares :o) xoxox
The easier ones are not to spank and to try to give equal rules for the siblings.





Almost everything else is easier said than done.
my children and family attend church. I yell less then my mother. Im going to teach my kids how to match their clothes, do their hair , etc

No comments:

Post a Comment