Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How long should a newborn sleep in parents room?

My wife and I are expecting a baby boy. For some reason, people always tell me ';Make sure you get your baby out of your room as soon as possible';. Why is that? And how long should your baby sleep with you? ThanksHow long should a newborn sleep in parents room?
People talk too much B.S. but it's true you will eventually need your space as a couple. I let my son sleep in my room (IN MY BED) for a year. Of course I was a single mom, but either way, I think that's a personal decision and you should discuss it with your wife. I think it's good to have your baby in the room until you get used to your new life with the baby, after you get used to it (I would say when baby is about 4-6 months) move him into his room IF YOU CAN, it won't kill you if you're in the same room passed the 6 months. When you can't you can't.How long should a newborn sleep in parents room?
You can keep a newborn in your room, in a bassinet next to your bed, for just one month. It is healthier for the baby to be in a crib in their own room; they sleep better (nothing to wake them up when a parent has to get up for something) and they learn how to fall a sleep on their own.
It's really a personal preference. My mother told me the same thing, simply because infants are noisy in their sleep and she had found that very disturbing to her own sleep. I on the other hand slept much better that close to my baby because I knew he was safe and warm in those first few weeks. When we started putting him in the crib it just seemed like a natural progression, and we all did just fine. Just use a sleeping arrangement that works best for your family, what works for other people may not work for you.
He should sleep in your room until the two of you feel that you and he are ready for him to sleep in his own room. My boys are 4 1/2 months and are still sleeping in my room. They're still nursing about twice a night, so why would I want to have to get up and walk to the other end of the house to nurse them?
It seems to me that our culture is big on pushing babies away as soon as a mother gives birth-- formula instead of breastfeeding, putting the baby in his own room, crying it out method.... Our daughter, now 25 months shared a room with us for her first 14 months. This wasn't totally by choice, but it was nice. When we lived in the townhouse at my husband's seminary, she shared a room with us. I think we thought it would only be for a few months, but the other bedroom just kinda became a storage room and I liked having her right there for night feedings. Then, my husband didn't get a church right away, so we had to move in to his parents' house and we all shared a room then, too. It was actually nice. When my husband did get a church and we moved in to the parsonage, we put her in her own room-- A big adjustment for the whole family. For the first couple of weeks, she woke up several times. While it was exhausting, it was understandable. It was the first time in her own room and we were in a new house and she was uncomfortable. (She doesn't' do it much now, but she would always wake up in a new place. When we stayed in hotels, I expected it.)





I'm big on attachment parenting. It's the only way to raise a child. (Yes, we do breastfeed. We've been going strong for 25 months with no end in sight.)
You should do what feels right to you when the baby comes. My daughter still sleeps with us and she is 9 months old, and we co-sleep. Yes, I know many people are judgemental about this, but I believe that this had made her a more secure happy baby.


I know some moms who have moved the baby out at 6 months %26amp; others who have kept the crib or co-slept for 2 years.


It's a tough decision to make before the baby arrives, but I'd plan about 6 months in your room at minimum.
I moved my first out at 12 months and the second was 18 months. My six month old is just being moved out now, because our bedroom is cold in the winter. I didn't sleep any of them in the same bed as me, they always did better in their own bed. None of them had any problems switching rooms. I think it is your own personal choice, and shouldn't be a problem as long as it is done before two. Two year olds get stuck in their ways and can be very stubborn when it comes to change.
It depends on your paenting style. Some parents co-sleep with thier children till i don't know how old they are. My husband and i personally arn't one of those parents.When our son started sleeping throughout the night is when we decided to put him in his room and he had no problem with it. We ended up moving him back into our room when we finally got a room mate to help our with rent. When we moved is when he finally was out of our room for good though and that was at 6 months old. He's never slept in the bed with us he always slept in his bassinet or his crib. It all depends on how YOU decide to raise YOUR child.
I think people say that just so they don't end up being 10 %26amp; still wanting to sleep in your room!


My son was 4 months when I started putting him in his crib. Of course there are nights (like last night) where I have him sleep with us. He was teething really bad %26amp; thought he'd feel better next to mommy.


I say whenever you feel comfortable doing it. It was easier than I thought though.
we just moved our son into his own room. i wanted to do it 6weeks ago but couldnt get help. he is 7.5months.





everytime i went to my room he would wake. every move he made i woke up. basically i had a lot of sleepness nights when i didnt have to :( thats the only reason why i think they need to be in their own room. i personally wasnt going to move him before 6months just because it was easier to tend to him at night.
People say that because normally if your child is still sleeping in your bed by age of 1 than its hard to get them out. I don't think sleeping in the same room will be a problem if they are in a different bed.
My baby is 11 months and he is still in with me. My older 2 children each stayed in with me until they were 2. It's up to you, I think I found it comforting to know that they were close by, Good luck.
my LO is 3month n we r moving her slowly next month n she will completely be in for crimbo but i am a strong believer of gut feeling if it feels right to the parents then its right for the baby good luck xx
No thats not the case at all.





My baby was 6 months old i felt any sooner would have been to soon. Its ur baby so do what u thin mums know best

No comments:

Post a Comment