Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How should I tell my fairly religious parents that I'm an atheist?

They're not religious nuts or anything, but they're still moderate Christians. Should I even bother telling them at all? I don't necessarily mind going to church once a week because religion as a whole has always interested me.How should I tell my fairly religious parents that I'm an atheist?
I don't think you have to tell them anything. It sounds like you are bright and you are interested in church, so go when you want to, and don't go when you don't want to. You are young if you are still living with your parents. You may be surprised to find your ideas changing as you mature. Don't label yourself. Just keep your mind open and be receptive. Let yourself just ';be there'; without confining yourself to being an theist. You will be able to make better decisions by knowing all the facts you can gather. How should I tell my fairly religious parents that I'm an atheist?
It depends on what kind of people they are, if they are fairly opened minded i would tell them if not then i would consider your relationship?





I would maybe ask them before what they think of people that are none religious and see what there reactions is.





Also if you living at home and you think they would react badly would hold it off.





However if your proud to be an athiest like i am and not scared of other peoples reactions then i would tell them and tell them proud.
Ask them what there thoughts on evolution are. Which ever one your more comfortable talking with. Tell them some of the evidence, some contradictions in the bible, and mostly why you don't believe. Tell them about abiogensis, and make sure they understand what your telling them.They will most likely understand why you believe what you believe.





Thats what I did and my parents respect my beliefs.
Just tell them.


I did when I was 16 and my parents were devout Roman Catholics. It caused a bit of friction but in the end they accepted my decision.


If they press you, simply ask for one single solitary shred of credible evidence supporting the existence of their god (that, by the way, cannot be used to support every other god out there) trust me, it'll stop them dead in their tracks.


You see, there is no such evidence.


Good luck to you and welcome to the world or reality, logic and reason.
i think u should be honest to them


ur parents wont stop liking u just because u dont share their religious believes, and if they do dont bother couse in my opinion if they base their love to u on a small thing like that they are a bit simple minded...


(i dont mean to offend ur parents, since i do not even know them so please dont take this badly)
I still haven't exactly told my mother (she's sort of Christian, but she has odd beliefs...It's like a mix of Buddhism and a teeny bit of Christianity, I'm not sure how to explain it), though I have hinted at it. So unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, sorry :/
Maybe you can engage them in a discussion about their beliefs and from there discern if revealing to them your different perspective will do good to all concerned. Otherwise, your actions should be enough to let them know that you don't really share the same faith.
First, tell them you were considering becoming a Satanist, or a Policeman or something, then tell them that, after much careful consideration, you've decided to be an Atheist.


Then they will be less displeased with you.
If they are the overly worrying kind about you going to hell, i say don't tell them. Why hurt their feelings. If they are cool tell them.
Don't even bother telling them, it will just cause friction where there needs to be none.
If they love you, they'll accept your beliefs.





But, because of their beliefs, expect a fight.
Don't tell them while eating Sunday dinner. They might choke to death while chewing on their pot roast.
You can say something to the effect of:





';You know how you told me as a kid , about Santa Claus ......';......
Well... When i told mine they said things like: ';You will burn in hell'; and etc...
';I'm an atheist.';
oho you are about to break the hearts of your parents who brought you up in a good christian FAITH.......... think twice....





Just go ahead and tell em....if this is what you have chosen .... every body should respect your CHOICE.... Religion is a choice.........
Just tell them you are studying animism and toteism by Darwin then they will understand

No comments:

Post a Comment