Thursday, May 13, 2010

What do I do about my overprotective parents?

I am 18 years old and my parents are so strict. They do not let me do anything. They don't like my boyfriend and they make me tell them everything I do. They blow my phone up over 100 times. I love them a lot but they need to learn to let me go. I want to move in wit my boyfriend and his mom. But they want let me.What do I do about my overprotective parents?
Sometimes parents find it hard to let go of their kids, cause acknowledging that your kid is an adult now is like acknowledging that you're old. Plus it's a pretty strong instinct to shelter and watch over your kids even when they're not kids anymore.





You're 18, you're an adult, and you can do what you want, but I suggest you sit down and talk with them about it. List examples of people you both know who are doing well but have a reasonable amount of independence. You need to establish trust, if you've spent the past 18 years smoking pot and drinking and sleeping around, they probably don't trust you and maybe they're scared for your life (I know, the chances of you dying are probably not likely but sometimes the older generation doesn't understand this.)





In any case, they can't ';not let you'; move in with your boyfriend. Try to talk to them about it but if they won't hear any reason, grab your stuff and get out. They'll get over itWhat do I do about my overprotective parents?
If I were you; I would ask your parents %26amp; the boyfriends mother to have a meal together. Maybe, at that time You and Your BOYFRIEND COULD BRING UP YOUR AGE.....AND YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE...I hope his are the same as yours. You might see how he feels about this idea...If he is not supportive, He has other plans.


Many, many guys, hit their girl with...THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO GROW UP! THAT IS THEIR WAY OF CONTROLLING WOMEN...If you heard that( not letting you go/ not wanting you to grow up) stuff from him....Think about it.


You don't need him blowing up your phone %26amp; him


making you answer the same questions, they ask.


Good Luck, But think this through,


URN
i agree will the first answerer, but what about college? Aren't your parents going to pay for it? If you are going to college, you will be out on your own. Put on a 'your so right about everything' acts for your mom and dad. And then go enjoy life. :)
you're an adult. your parents didn't ';force'; you to tell them anything. you chose to. and you're choosing to let them tell you what to do. move in with your boyfriend. ignore your parents.
Excuse me did you say you are 18? They will be protective as long as you live there but hey your an adult 18 go leave they can not stop you. But hope you have a good job they won't be paying any of your bills.
I agree with Joe.


Being 18 years old, you're out of your parents house/rules.





18 is considered an adult. Do what you want now. =]
You're 18, you can do whatever you want now, so just leave.
  • jabbawockeez mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment