Thursday, May 13, 2010

What holiday tradition are you carrying on with your children that you got from your parents?

With my kids, we are going to decorate the tree together while listening to christmas carols, help make christmas candy, and read the story of Jesus birth on Christmas eve.





It doesnt matter what religon you practice, id love to hear about your traditions!What holiday tradition are you carrying on with your children that you got from your parents?
These have been SO nice to read! I love the idea of new pyjamas every Christmas!


We're Ukrainian, so we celebrate both Christmases - in different ways I suppose. Growing up my parents kind of did the same.


We always decorate the house together a few weeks before Christmas, and put up the real tree and decorate it. We hang our tree from the ceiling, which is an old tradition of my husband's from Eastern Europe, when there were lots of small kids.


Our celebration is Christmas Eve. Tradition is to have 12 meatless dishes, which we don't do - we just have the main foods - kutia, a dish of boiled wheet, poppyseed and nuts, sweetened with honey and sugar; holubtsi (cabbage rolls); pyrohy (boiled dumplings with potato); baked fish with potatoes and rice; a kolach (round braided bread, with candle to symbolize Christ); and some special dainties.


We sing our prayer before supper. Then my husband gives a special greeting in his language (close to Ukrainian, but of his tradition). After we eat, we sing again, then go to the living room to sing some more carols - both Ukrainian and English. Then we open gifts.


When we were growing up, we would just visit as a family, then go to church. But with my husband's traditions being a bit different, other families from his culture in our city come 'caroling' Christmas Eve, before we got to Liturgy. Parents with their kids go around to each other's homes to sing, then the kids get small gifts and you have a bit of a visit. So one of the parents stays home to host the others when they come around. It's hectic, but fun!


So we do this big celebration Christmas Eve on Dec. 24, then because we also follow the Julian calendar, we just have the Holy Supper again on January 6. Usually, will give our son another gift then, too!What holiday tradition are you carrying on with your children that you got from your parents?
I am not a devout christian, but believe in the christian values, and teach my children that christmas is about the birth of jesus.


As well as sending out xmas cards to families and neighbours etc, we also get a birthday card every year, 'for baby jesus' my 3 year old says.


When i was younger, my parents never really made a big deal out of xmas, as they were very poor, and all xmas meant to them was financial worrys. i too have financial worries, but my children get about 10 presents each, no more than that.


we do the same as you, listen to xmas carols while putting up the tree and decorating it, but i also have a glass of wine while doing it, and i let the kids have a very weak shandy...then it starts to feel like christmas.


I cant wait!!!
with my kids we too are putting up our tree togther while we let xmas old movies play in the back round.we do ginger bread xmas houses, and bake eather cookies or brownies.
Every Christmas growing up Christmas Eve my parents would give us kids a new ordament with the year and our names on them. We'd put them on the tree and go to bed. To this day they are soo special to me and I started giving it to my kids to each year. It's wonderful
I wanted to teach my daughter about the spirit of giving, so we are doing the same thing we used to do in my family. During the month of December, my daughter has been saving her money (allowance that I give her for putting her toys away) and I have been saving mine, and before Christmas Eve we'll go to the market, buy some food, and make a nice dinner for about 3 needy families that we have met. I would like for her to learn what my mother always told my brothers and I: ';you can give your money, but the most precious thing you can give is your time.';
Hi, Merry Chrismas! Our family Christmas traditions we have are that we drive around Christmas Eve looking at christmas lights while listening to chrismtas songs. Then we go home %26amp; open our chrismas eve Pajamas that Mom buys us every year. My moms %26amp; mine match %26amp; my brothers %26amp; dads match too. We go to midnight mass at church on Christmas Eve. Chrismtas morning Mom %26amp; I get up %26amp; cook a big breakfast for the family %26amp; we eat %26amp; then open gifts.





Ive been married 3 years %26amp; we are expecting our first baby in May! I will definitly pass down the traditions to my lil one. And I hope to make some new ones ourselves that he can take into his family.





Happy Holidays!!!
Along with some of the typical traditions, I have revived my family's tradition of having Pillsbury Orange Rolls for breakfast on Christmas day!
My mom gets new pj's for all the grandkids to wear x-mas eve. Also I bring my daughter to my aunt's house x-mas eve. Every year she throws a party and it's the one time we are promised to see all of my mom's relatives under the same roof, so I really look forward to that.


Once she gets older I'd like to also drive around and look at all the houses that are decorated, my mom used to do that with us and I always enjoyed it.


I also started my own tradition of getting a picture of me and my daughter infront of the tree every x-mas eve. Just something small I can look back on every year and see how much she has grown.
My son gets to hear me sing Christmas music all season... he's not here yet, but next year he'll help us decorate the tree, and make cookies. We'll also pass on the tradition of celebrating Christmas on Jan. 7th (Daddy's Orthodox)
I know this sounds silly, but we all wear new pajamas on Christmas eve.





Nothing fancy. I take the kids to Walmart and let them pick out a pair of pj's. Then I pick out a pair for myself and my husband. I normally get him a pair of comfy pants and a regular t-shirt that matches.





We normally do this about a week or so before Christmas, so this annual event will happen soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment