Thursday, May 13, 2010

What do you do about over protective parents?

My parents are MAJORLY over protective and i like to think im a very respectful person, and I dont want to hurt them, but i need to breath if you know what I mean... wut do i do?What do you do about over protective parents?
Be assertive, rather than aggressive. A typical example:





Girl: Mum, today after school I'm gonna see the gynaecologist, so I'm gonna get home a little later.


Mum: No way - I'm driving you there!


Girl: Thanks mum, but I'd rather go on my own; plus, it's two blocks from school.


Mum: I don't care, I'm your mother and I want to go with you


Girl: I understand that, but I prefer to go by myself


Mum: Don't you even trust me?


Girl: Of course I do, but I prefer to go by myself


Mum: What if that gynaecologist is a bad one?


Girl: Then we'd be in a lot of trouble since she's the same one you go to.


Mum: Don't be all witty with me, I know where you're going


Girl: Of course you do: I'm going to the gynaecologist; alone, by the way...


Mum: You conceited prat! You think you're an adult already?


Girl: I know I'm not an adult yet, but I'm old enough to go to the gynaecologist by myself, which I will


Mum: I just wanna be part of your life


Girl: I understand that, but I'll go on my own


Mum: You're growing so fast, it's hard for me to accept it


Girl: I understand that, but I'll go on my own


Mum: Just promise me you'll be home before six


Girl: Sure.


Mum: Take care


Girl: You too. See ya!





In that semi-fictional dialogue, nobody yelled, no doors were slammed, no insults were uttered, no grounding was necessary, and the mother learnt a valuable lesson: she can't stop her kid from growing up.





Loads of times, parents are right when they argue with their kids; loads of times, parents are wrong: it's the 'how' you defend your position the key to a good communication path and a healthy adolescence with increasing individuality and independence.





Note that, on the dialogue, the girl didn't say 'you're overwhelming', she merely stated her desire to go by herself (which is the main point), and implied that it was a definite decision (e.g. 'but I'll go on my own', as opposed to 'I want to go on my own').





This is something you've got to work on every single day. At the end of the day, it's about choosing one's battles. Your parents can set a curfew and there's nothing you can do to change it (although you can change their perspective so they'll change the curfew), but they can't 'force' you not to grow up and have different interests.What do you do about over protective parents?
tell them too liberal of parents and too conservative of parents never works.....tell them if they see changes in you for the worse, then they were right and you were wrong...but tell them you need a chance to prove to them that you need some space....besides, one day you'll be exposed to the world for yourself
You thank god you still have your parents and work everyday to prove your trustworthiness and try to find some kind of common ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment