Monday, May 10, 2010

How can I telly my extremely liberal parents, who are also teachers, that I want to become a Marine?

My parents are both educators in San Francisco and put a large emphasis on education. However, I feel that the Marine Corps will better me as a person and help me transition into adulthood.How can I telly my extremely liberal parents, who are also teachers, that I want to become a Marine?
Consider that they may have a point. Think about going to college first, life as an officer is a lot better than the life of an enlisted man.





Consider Navy ROTC (you can opt for the Corps later). You are not committed for the first 2 years; after that you are theirs. NROTC will put you on officer track as well.





In the end, you must do what you want, including enlisting. But spend some time considering your alternatives - you might be surprised.





Good luck.How can I telly my extremely liberal parents, who are also teachers, that I want to become a Marine?
Tell them to kiss your *** and make a love story about it...it,s your life, not there,s. Tell them if they can lay down and die for you so you need not do it on your own, then you will fallow there rules,s . I;m telling you to do what you want to do with your life. Tell them you love them with all your heart but you want to go in to the marine Corps and that is what your going to do and they can stand beside you or get out of your life. I feel to many parents have killed the dreams of many good kids because of there uneducated advise and hidden fear that there children are smarter then they could have ever hoped to be. I don't mean disrespect for your your parents, but DUDE, Fallow your heart, and do what you want to do that makes you happy. I wish you all the luck in the world and pray that you fallow your dream,s. WE ALL ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE IN THIS WORLD...So make it a good one.
Why would you think that? Do you see that you will lose your freedom?


You may have been brainwashed it is like a cult? My son went to college %26amp; got a finance degree. Then he loved building %26amp; ended up doing construction work. He went on to get his MBA at one of the top Universities. He works many hours so he only takes a class at time now %26amp; is getting his MBA. Your parents have dedicated their life to other peoples children. If this is not what they would want for you, consider if there is a better alternative first before you disappoint them. I don't mean they will be disappointed in you but in the fear they will go through %26amp; morally how different war is to the love %26amp; peace they have given the world. I don't know if you have e-mail but if you do %26amp; you want to e-mail me I will help you make sure this is your absolute best alternative.Also, my son has always had companies pay for his education. He attendes the most expensive U in the country. He also makes a huge income so he has done very well.
I think you should do a lot of research before you do that. Be well informed about the US foreign policy and why exactly do we go into wars. I think you should have a right to know these things before you are asked to put your life on the line. Do you really want to give up your life or take someone else's for someone's ';right'; to cheap gas, a half a ton vehicle to transport a single person, for someone to enjoy cheap imports. For the ';right'; of some company to make huge profits.





Think about it. I would be outraged if my countrymen used me for that, if my government put me in that position.
Be up front with them. Since they are teachers, they may even appreciate the education opportunities in the service. In the end, its your life, both the good and the bad. After you turn 18, it would be great to have their blessing, but its not needed. You have to live your life for you. Good luck.
Tell them that then. They may not agree, but I am guessing they will support and love you, no matter what you choose to do. Your life's decisions are yours, and they raised you to make your own decisions. I am pretty liberal, but I would certainly respect that decision if my son made it someday. I would be terrified, but suppportive.
say this.... mom dad... i called you liberals because radio hate mongers told me to use that word a lot... i just want to tell you liberals that i want to go from being a ditto head to being a jar head.....


dont worry liberal mom and dad... i wont ask wont tell
You can be a marine and get an education. I know a few people who had college paid for with the GI bill. Some made good leaders. If this is what you want, tell them and be direct.
Well, since liberals are so understanding they shouldn't have any problem with it.


Unless they think freedom just happens.





seriously, they should support your decision unless the rules only apply to what they agree with.





Good luck.
Once your 18, you can.





Just tell them straight-forward
If they are truly liberal they will accept your decision, if they don't they're not liberal, they're left-wing, which is entirely different.
Most parents are understanding about their child's need to make their own decisions. That you will receive an education allowance after you have served is an added plus.
When you turn 18, enlist. At that point, you are an adult and can make your own choices. It can be a great 4 years or a great career if it suits your needs as a man. Good fortune, young man.
Tell them up front and if they flip out too bad when you are 18 you can do what you want.
The real question for you should be, If I am old enough to join the Marines, why do give a flyin *%26amp;^% what my parents might think about me joining? Go for it man!!!
Tell them that this is what you are going to do. Good luck to you. And thank you for wanting to defend our Country
Its easy. tell them you want to join to protect Obama.
Probably the same way you would tell them if they were Conservative.
If you can't get up the courage to talk to your parents abou this, I don't think you are ready for the Marines.
Buy a casket and put your affairs in order so they don't have to deal with it when you die in yet another war for oil. There are lots of other ways to transition into adulthood, perhaps you could volunteer for Habitat for Humanity?





Signed: someone whose fiance was killed in a war for oil
Give them the one finger salute, grab your crap and don't look back.
Just tell them straight out.
Stop trolling. You'd put this question somewhere else if you were legit.
Although I agree with your parents, you do need to stand up for what YOU believe in.





Good luck!
Telle em you are joining the French Foreign Legion!
first move isn't to ask people on yahoo answers....second, i think this question is BS.
Walk up to them and tell them.. Are you an adult or a child?





And, I agree with Bobby R.
okay, well if they're tHaT liberal, they won't flip out.





They'll be terribly disappointed... as am I. They'll have about as much trouble understanding how joining the marines could make you better as a person as I do :)


Honey, there are more honourable ways to acquire self discipline, responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment.


If you're afraid of not living up to their expectations, or your own... whatever the reason may be in your heart of hearts, be honest with yourself. Then be honest with Them.


If you TrUlY believe that you're going to make yourself and this world a better place by joining the marines, then find out exactly what the job entails. Find out if there is anything in the job description that contradicts your convictions.


I pray that you find those contradictions, for my sake, for the sake of the person that you may one day be conditioned to call your ';enemy';, and for your sake.





Dear, I'm twenty two, and I remember how little I knew of conviction, but if you follow your conscience, you need not worry about what AnYoNe else thinks.





*To thine own self be true*





Here's to hopin' :) *fingers crossed:)*

No comments:

Post a Comment