Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Parents: How Much Would You be Willing to Spend on Your Child's Birthday Party?

I am thinking about starting up a kid's party planning business and i want to set a flat rate that I will be able to make a profit off of. What would you be willing to spend that much on a birthday party for your child (age 3-10ish)?Parents: How Much Would You be Willing to Spend on Your Child's Birthday Party?
We're quite *lame* when it comes to our kids birthday parties. We live 30secs from the beach, have a big back garden, pool, trampoline, swing-set etc ... usually, we spend about $200 on everything : invitations, the gift, food, cake %26amp; entertainment. I guess we're more advantage in that sense.





Speaking from the point of view, we don't have them resources, depending on what your business, I would budget to $350/$400.Parents: How Much Would You be Willing to Spend on Your Child's Birthday Party?
It depends on what I was getting for the money. Maybe you should have different packages with different price tiers. For example, a party including just decorations and decorating would be anywhere from $100-$250, depending on the style of decorations and how many they want...streamers...balloons...confetti..鈥?If they want decorations/decorating, cake, favors.... you would price it up from there. You would want to take into account how much the materials will cost you, and how much your labor of setting it up, and your time of purchasing and planning will cost. After adding these numbers up, you will be able to set a good price based on the value and your time.





You could even go as far as decorations/decorating, cake, favors, and coordinating the party, like specifying certain games, and being an actual 'event planner' at the party. Some parents (especially ones with money to spare) don't care how much it costs if they feel like they are getting their money's worth.





I spent close to $1000 on my sons first birthday and I did it all on my own. This included catered food and renting a hall for it (we had close to 100 people there). I wanted it to be a big party, and if I had had a budget double of what I paid, I would have hired someone in a second so I didn't have to deal with the stress of putting it all together, and then having to entertain at the party as well.





Your best bet would be to create a 'menu' of the different packages you offer, what each includes, and a price range of what each package would be.


(ex: some people may only choose a color theme for a party, like their favorite football team's colors instead of an actual character/children's theme, like Winnie the Pooh) The color theme would be on the lower end of the price range since the decorations would cost less for you to buy. This will allow you to start on a part-time basis until you have a good idea of your profits and what type of clients will be interested in your services.





Getting survey's from each party you do to see what you could do better will help your business to improve as time goes on.





Good luck!
Shoot, for that age? I wouldn't pay anyone to help, that's for sure.


All kids need/want at that age for a party is a few friends over and a fun time.


Maybe for a culturally/life-change significant birthday (13, 18) I'd do something more ';special,'; and plan something bigger.





But what I've noticed in my sudden and jarring introduction into parenting elementary schoolers is that birthday parties these days aren't even about the kids any more. It's an exercise in one-up's-manship among parents, particularly mothers, to see whose kid's party is the most extravagant, whose kids gets the most gifts and who's giving the ';best'; gifts, who gives the best favours, blah blah blah.


I refuse to take part in that nonsense.





My kids will have a quiet birthday at home with a small party, family and a few good friends that they actually know and like: not the entire second grade + the entire second grade's parents. They go out to dinner at a place of their choosing and perhaps have a sleep over. That's it. No theatrics, no extravagance, just a day to have fun, let them take centre stage (not mom or dad), and make them feel special and loved.





Personally, I'd spend $150 on the party itself, max. Just a few simple things in a goody bag, a cake and some good food if the guests are eating a meal at our house. If we're going out to dinner, whatever the bill is is fine as long as it's not a whole bunch of people and just my kid's closest friends.
no more than i had to. you can find out what people are willing to spend in your community by calling around to other similar businesses and asking their rates. where i live, an ';away'; party goes for about $200. we've only done that twice; usually we have parties at home. but if every other birthday place charged $200 and yours charged $300, i'd go with them even if i were technically willing to spend more if given no other options.
Well, we did a McDonalds birthday this year. For eight kids it came to $54 for the location, happy meal, cake and ice cream. I would have gladly pain $75 for those things. Personally, I think charging per child would be in your best interest. Say $7 per child and then list what that includes. If the parent wants extras like decorations, then have a separate list of costs for that. Put together some preview ideas, like a super hero theme for little boys that runs $25 or a princess theme for a certain amount.





I think it'd be pushing it financially at $100 just for the basic set up. Good luck with your business!
It obviously depends on where you're setting up your business...I live in a lower-middle class area where most people don't spend more than $50 on a birthday party and host it at their house. My kids have friends, though, who's parents will spend up to $300 on a birthday party! I think that's ridiculous!


If my child were over 2 and able to appreciate it, maybe I'd spend $200. Maybe. Anything under 10 though, I'd go for maybe $50-$75.
The most I ever spent on a kids B-day party was $400, and that was only becasue it kind of snowballed out of control before my very eyes (yes, DH got his way). On average I would like to spend $100 or less. I always bake the cake myself, do my own decorating, plan games, etc. and usually end up spending around $50, depending on how many kids we invite.
Well, my son's first b-day I did at the discovery center as my apt is to small for more than like 6 people. That was 95.00 alone and only included me, my bf and grandparents admission. I did all the other stuff myself and probably all totalled in addtion to the $95 it was another 100.00. Now, I plan in advance (Son's b-day is June and I started planning and getting things in December) ---I am a planning freak.
We usually spend 100 - 150 on our parties. You can do lots of things that look expensive without actually being expensive. Find fun games and activities online (http://www.birthdaypartyideas4kids.com) for free and the kids will enjoy the party.
a couple hundred.
on just the party its self i would only spend about 50 dollars but the presents is a different story
Maybe fifty dollars.
I wouldn't spend more than $400
Im not a parent but my mom used to spend like 100-200.
$200
I spent 拢500 on my daughters party..and it was fantastic!
My son is 3 and for all off his parties I have spent around 拢300-350 for each party!

No comments:

Post a Comment