Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do I proove to my parents that I am ready and responsible enough to get a dog?

I have done a LOT of research on the breed of dog I want (Golden Retriever). I understand that they are very active, need a lot of grooming and bathing and I know that they can get expensive (just like any other breed of dog). I have been going on 30 minute walks each day to proove that I will walk him/her each day. I have some pocket money that I will use to buy it's food, toys, crate etc.


I know that dogs are a very big responsibility.





My dad doesn't mind wether I get a dog or not, as long as I look after it, which I will. My mum just want's to make sure that I know what I am getting myself into. 10-13 years of walking each day and loving this dog with all my heart.





I am turning 13 soon and I don't do many things after school so once I get home, I will be able to take him/her for a walk.





Any advice on how else I can proove to my mum, that I am responsible enough to get a Golden Retriever?How do I proove to my parents that I am ready and responsible enough to get a dog?
It seems to me that you are not fully aware of the true monitary commitment you are getting yourself into. They require more than food, toys and a crate. I got a puppy a little over a year ago, and she has cost me more than I thought she would have.





First there is actually aquiring the dog, depending on whether you are going through a breeder, shelter or rescue group, this could cost you anywhere from a couple thousand to a couple hundred dollars. Most shelters and rescue group will already have the dog ';fixed'; for you, but if you get the dog through a breeder, that vet bill is another two hundred dollars at least.





You should have at least 75 dollars per month set aside for grooming, depending on the size of dog and how often you get him/her groomed. I have a 12 pound Shih Tzu, and she costs me six hundred dollars a year (fifty each month) to groom.





You should also know the most common ailments to the breed you choose. My aunt has a golden, and he is on a special perscription diet that costs her about a hundred dollars a month.





You need to be prepared for emergency vet bills, my puppy was limping a few months ago, so I rushed her to the vet for what turned out to be a blister that would have healed itself.





Any dog needs obedience training. It's best to do this when they are puppies, to stop any destructive habits when they first start. Training can also be expensive. My aunts golden needed to go to basic training twice, he failed the first time around. My puppy was the class star, she passed with flying colors. The personality of the dog you get is a HUGE factor here.





Do you go on vacation with your parents? What will you do with the dog then? There are kennels that you can leave them at, but these are sometimes stressful to the dogs and can cause anxiety. You could hire someone to come take care of the dog at your home, but either way these options are usually expensive.





And you need to look towards the future. What are you planning to do for college? I graduated from high school a little over a year ago, and I have had to completely miss out on the going away and living in a dorm aspect of college because I want to stay home with my puppy.





I am not trying to discourage you from getting a dog, it is one of the best experiences in the world to have complete unconditional love from my little furbaby. I just think that you should be prepared.





Save up as much as you can, this will show your parents that they won't have to foot the bill every time the dog needs something.


Don't cling to the idea of a golden so much, go to local animal shelters with your parents, see what type of dog they think you should get.


Take a job walking your neighbors dog every day, this will not only help you save up money, but will show your parents that you are responsible enough to take care of a dog.





You sound very responsible and capable of handling the overwhelming task of taking are of a dog. Good luck and please let me know how it turns out!How do I proove to my parents that I am ready and responsible enough to get a dog?
tell your mom that you gonna take out the garbage everyday and you gonna clean your room everyday so she should trust you tell her that they are very unfit children because parents are too sloppy or to rigid so they have to be flexible if they found out that you are not capable for the responsability they could act afterwards but for the moment they should trust you you deserve it.
Your parents should already have plenty of information upon which to base their decision. They probably are considering such things as whether you are a self-starter with your other tasks like homework and household chores, or you need frequent reminders to take care of these responsiblities. They may also be thinking of the near future when you may be getting more involved socially and have less time to devote to your pet. Also, does your family travel very much? If so, you must consider whether your pet can go with you, or must be boarded-an expensive and stressful consideration sometimes.


I know my kids are now 18 and 20, and they have trouble keeping up with pets for several reasons. My daughter is in college and has an apartment which does allow pets, but with a hefty pet deposit. Between classes and a part-time job, she has little free time. If she lived on campus, she would not be allowed to have a pet at all! My son is now working off shore 2 weeks at a time-obviously a pet is not something he can care for!


It may seem a long time before you face issues of this type, but believe me-they are real and your parents probably see them as closer than you do- and MUCH closer than they like to think!


Having said all this, I hope if you are allowed to get a pet, you enjoy it as much as I do! I take 2 small dogs with me all over the country as a travelling nurse. YES, they can be a hassle sometimes, but are MORE than worth the trouble!





Good Luck!
try dog sitting other peoples dogs to show your parents your ready!!! or not!!!
Did you write this yourself? Sounds mature. One thing I would notice most is how you do in every day expectations and is it consistent. This becomes your 'Track Record' Parents tend to go by that.... Having the insight to see what is likely to happen as a result of decision making. Once the new wears off or if you get a better offer for the day and perhaps the chores would become a family thing and obviously they are not wishing that on theirselves. If there are days that you are not available to do what is expected of you now, do you make other arrangements to get it done or bring it up yourself so they know it is on your mind and make sure some one will help you out? Just show that you are not neglecting your responsibility. Just like adults; do this every day . If one can not pick up a child at school or do something They must make other arrangements. Have a backup plan or 2.. if you are not available that day for your pet. Do not force the responsiblity on your parents. They likely have enough to do. Perhaps, this is the big test too for you.
when you leave home you can do what you want until then its their house their rules
Bring home someone's dog and watch it for a week. And think about this, what happens when you graduate and leave home for college in 5 years? Will you be leaving the dog behind? Dogs are great pets, just think about the long-term.
Sit down and talk to them as you did to us, you sound very mature and definitely ready for a puppy, good luck too you...
When was the last time your mom had to wash the dishes because you didn't
They are afraid that they are going to be the ones ending up taking care of the dog, as a parent myself, it always ends up that way.
  • eye color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment