Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do you handle siblings having different parents in PAF 5?

I am trying to do genealogy using Personal Ancestral File 5. My siblings all have different fathers, but if I add one parent it makes him the parent of all of us, which isn't accurate. How do I get around this? I tried changing the marital status to divorced, which isn't really accurate either, but would be closer to true, and it still does not allow for more than one father to be connected to my mother.How do you handle siblings having different parents in PAF 5?
Click on the mother.


Click on ';Add Spouse';.


Add as many as you need.





';Spouse'; doesn't mean ';Husband'; in this case; it means ';Father';. You don't have to add a marriage fact if there was no marriage.





Unlink the children you have added from their false fathers, if you can. If you can't, you'll have to delete them. Write their records numbers down if you can unlink them





Select each child, click on ADD %26gt; Father. Select the right man. If you had to delete them, click on each father, Add %26gt; Child. It should ask you the mother, and ';know'; she is connected to them.





Unsolicited plug: I use Roots Magic, $29. They couldn't sell it if it wasn't better than PAF. I have PAF just to help people. It is clumsy. RM lets you unlink children easily. PAF doesn't.How do you handle siblings having different parents in PAF 5?
I have similar family situations, but doing what Ted Pack suggests works well. Once you get to know the program, it isn`t that bad. There are also lots of other programs you can buy if you are serious, but you can figure it out on PAF. =-)
sounds like you need to use a different type of File. I had much the same problem, and had to hand print it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment