Saturday, January 23, 2010

What books would you recommend for a parent?

I want to read the books that will likely be assigned to my kids as they go through school so that I can be familiar with them. So far I have The Great Gatsby, The Lord of the Flies. What else?What books would you recommend for a parent?
Why not ask your child's teacher for the list of reading? If you want to get ahead of the game, teachers would probably jump for joy at the thought of a parent wanting to read ahead and read along. I am sure you could ask the Principal for the list of required reading in different classes.





Now, in a lot of schools, the kids at elementary level get to hand pick so much of their reading at the library based on their reading level, so working on it too far in advance might be tough.





But I say go for the classics.....the ones recommended were great.





I just re-read The Island of the Blue Dolphins with my daughter....fantastic.....





Good luck to you!What books would you recommend for a parent?
I recommend Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, and Island of the Blue Dolphins, as well as Where the Red Fern Grows. They get assigned frequently in elementary school as well as middle school.


The Giver by Lois Lowry is a great book to have your children read as well, though many schools do not cover it.



To Kill a Mockingbird


The Taming of the Shrew


The Pigman


1984


Jane Eyre


The Scarlet Letter


The Crucible





Those are just some I read in school.
Debby Does Dallas: The Novel





Really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment